514-940-4908

Mold and Bleach

Bleach is the first solution that pops into the mind of many homeowners faced with a mold problem. Seeing those spots in the attic or the shower sends most people out to the hardware store to get a spray bottle filled with some kind of bleach based cleanser. These products fill the shelves, so there has to be some wisdom to treating mold problems with bleach. After all, common knowledge has to be founded somewhere, and if the stores are still selling then someone must be buying.

The main issue regarding the bleach treatment stems from people forgetting what bleach is used for outside of mold treatment. Bleach is used to take stains and dirt out of white clothing and other surfaces. This explains exactly what bleach can be counted to do to mold. It will take the grimy brown and black surface of the mold, and remove some (bleach still is a cleanser) and bleach the rest! Some of the problem remains, and now there is a secondary problem, it has been camouflaged.

Bleach is a perfectly good cleaner for mold on hard surfaces. Surfaces like concrete, countertops, and shower tiles can be totally cleansed by bleach. If these surfaces are not white, and are not color fast, the bleach can alter the color of the surface that you are cleaning under and around the mold.  Even on color fast surfaces, bleach is not always the best bet to rid an area of mold growth.

The other type of surface that can be negatively affected by bleach is a porous surface. Porous surfaces can soak up the bleach, allowing the surface to be disinfected and cleansed, but the roots of the mold can continue to live and thrive. In fact, the circumstances inside the wall that has been scrubbed with bleach can improve for mold! This happens because many household bleaches are diluted with water so they can be handled safely in the home. The water that makes up much of these cleansers can sink into the roots of the mold directly feeding the problem that you were trying to clean up.

Other problems with bleach come from its possible dangers and damaging possibilities. If bleach is spilled, it can dye flooring, clothing, and burn or irritate skin, eyes, and nose. Many of the irritations that the mold cleanup was trying to correct in the first place. Bleach can also be potentially dangerous if mixed with other chemicals. If you are to use bleach be sure to use it in a well ventilated area, and never mix it with other cleaners. This can cause vapors that can lead to sickness, and in extreme cases death. 

LiveZilla Live Chat Software
Follow us on:

Submit Your Information for an immediate response

FREE on-site inspection for all visible damages

Enter Secure Number:
»

Your privacy is important to us.
Any personal information shared on this website will be kept strictly confidential.

Copyright © 2011-2014 Canada's Restoration Services.
Design and hosting by Xi Digital